.

.

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Six Inches

Heart Attack!



I guess it makes sense when you think about it. We spend most of our lives being broken, hurt, and lied to. So along comes a God with promises, and we welcome him with closed arms and walled hearts. Our defenses are up, and I guess maybe we have a right to be skeptical. After all, if it seems to good to be true it has to be right? Some of us may not want to admit it, but trusting God is something we really struggle with. We have pain we can't explain, and fears that seem really big. Throw some of our own daddy issues on top of that and a God who calls himself father isn't really the easiest to sell out for. He asks for our heart, but it is broken and we have already given away too many pieces of it, so instead we give him our head. 


Heads up!


I have a lot of useless facts in my head. Did you know most car horns honk in the key of F? Or that the average person falls asleep in 7 minutes? Guess I'm just above average. Also all polar bears are left handed.... Anyway! The point is there is a lot of information up there. There are some useful things up there too, I promise. But let's just think about those facts for a second... Are they life changing? I mean maybe you will strike up a tune in F every time someone honks their horn, try to beat the national average for falling asleep, and if left-handed, decide that a polar bear is your new spirit animal. But if you do...you are weird. 
The point is, we all know a lot of things. But only if you believe something does it change how you live. 


You know that you should look both ways before crossing because you believe that getting hit by a car would seriously suck. 
You know that you stink because you haven't showered in three days, and you shower because you believe that you're about to go to that concert and the girl you're standing next to might be cute!
You know that stop signs with white lines around the outside are optional and so you drive right through them.

 When you believe something, it changes everything. Your habits, your choices, and even your hygiene. 

P.S. Stop signs are never optional.... That was a joke.... just for the record.



So do you really believe God? 


Christians know a lot about God. But maybe we don't believe as much as we think we do. 
I will use myself as an example because frankly I am a great one. 

God says he has forgiven me, but my past mistakes and failures are on constant playback.
God says he is always with me, but my first question when things go wrong is "God where are you?"
God says he is the only thing that can satisfy me, but I keep looking somewhere else. 
God says that time with him is what I should prioritize. And I will! Just one more episode on Netflix!
God says that he chose me because he loved me, but I keep trying to earn my salvation.
God says... and I guess I just don't believe him. 

Sound familiar? 


The longest yard... no foot... OK, six inches. 


I really want to believe God. I know it is all true, but life gets real and I find myself making decisions as if  I don't believe. I doubt, question, and reason my way around what I know is true so that I won't have to change the way I live. I'm tired of this head knowledge. I want it to sink into my heart. The problem is... how does that work?
Read more, pray more, screw up less? That's the opposite of the gospel!
It seems that the gap between the head and the heart is the most difficult six inch journey on the planet.


Waiting....


I hate not being able to fix my problems by myself. But the more I think about this gap between my head and heart, the more I realize that there is nothing I can do. 
Romans 12:3 puts faith in the right perspective:


"For by the grace given to me, I say to everyone:
Don't think of yourself more highly than you should.
But think of yourself with good judgement, 
According to the amount of faith God has given you.


So basically, I need to get over myself. I can't create faith in myself. It has always been a gift from God I didn't deserve.  But I don't think that means doing nothing either. Maybe we should just wait. This video (by Matt Chandler) has been helpful for me. I hope it is for you:








#SixInches

So here we are, waiting on the Lord. Hoping in the Lord. Trusting in the Lord. How do we wait well?
I don't have the answers, but together maybe we have some of them.
How do you wait well? How do you approach the longest six inches? How do you position yourself underneath "the waterfall of grace"?


I would love for your feedback, advice, and wisdom.
Comment below or,
Tweet or Facebook your thoughts with #SixInches


Let's wait well together.




"Therefore, since we are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses,
let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely.
And let us run with endurance the race set before us.
Fixing our eyes on Jesus: the author and perfecter of our faith, 
who for the joy set before him endured the cross, 
despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of God."

-Hebrews 12:2


S.D.G

2 comments:

  1. First of all I would just like to say thank you for putting your thoughts out here for myself and others to read. Your words are beautiful (handsome so you don't feel less masculine haha). I found your blog through Liberty's website this morning while doing some college research. I am a senior and my experience with finding colleges has been difficult. My close friend actually introduced me to this school a little over a year ago. She has been begging me to apply for months now, but a few months ago, I had no idea where I wanted to go or what I wanted to do and the reality of traveling 5 hours north for college was not likely. Luckily, I have been praying about this experience as a senior. For the past few months I have felt a stronger connection with God than I have my entire life, which isn't very long, but it means something to me. I have grasped the concept of how truly indescribable God is. He is always here for me. I am the type of girl who tends to be stubborn and I try to hard on my own, but that's when the whole world crashes down on me and there God is, right in front of me, inside of my heart, soul, and mind, working to pick me up again and teach me patience once more. That's what amazes me about God; he is never 6 inches away, but always here, in my heart. He is in the words I speak and the things I do and think about. He is in the breeze and in the crisp mountain air that pulls me in each morning and he is in the sunset and rise of each day to greet and pardon me. He is everywhere, and though I hate waiting, I love the adventure and the thrill of being his daughter in spirit. His love never fails, it never gives up, it never runs out on me.

    I also sent you a friend request on facebook and followed you on instagram if that is alright? I love your writings, so please keep writing and I will too. Have a blessed day!

    Marcia Louise Hall
    Refindmarlou.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're are so inspiring. Recently, I have been going through a lot of struggles and your words hit me hard. I have been struggling to trust God with all my heart cause like you said I don't understand why. However, this past Tuesday at FCA I felt the Hoy Spirit speaking to me. I realized that to have joy even through the pain and trials is what is the best thing to do. I realize that I need to completely trust God with his plan for my life. Yes, it is true that sometimes we don't understand why bad things happen to us or other people, but I think we need to realize that God has made the best plan for our life. He knows what is best. Reading this blog I felt the Holy Spirit speaking to me again. I feel that the way to wait and be patient is to trust that God is in control in every circumstance we are faced with in life. He is the only one who knows our true hearts. Again, thank you for your inspiring words. I hope you know that you are making a difference with your inspiring words. God has great plans for you!

    ReplyDelete